Reflection + Resources: Wives
House of Cards | 11.21.2021
Wives, in the same way submit yourselves to your own husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to adorn themselves. They submitted themselves to their own husbands, 6 like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her lord. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear.
1 Peter 3: 1- 6
- How does Jesus’ love show us courageous and attractive submission to His Father?
- How well do you submit to those in authority in your life?
- What is a step of courageous submission could you take in your marriage or relationships?
Spend some time in silent prayer with God. You can use the PRAY acronym below to guide you.
- P: Praise – Spend some time thanking God for who He is in your life.
- R: Real life – Spend some time engaging God about your real needs and concerns.
- A: Ask – Ask for God’s provision, love, and power to be made known to people in your life.
- Y: Your will – Spend some time being silent and listening for God’s direction.
“Jesus, thank You for courageously submitting Your life for me on the cross. Help me to receive Your grace in my life and trust Your authority in my life. I want to live more in tune with the way You have designed relationships to thrive. Please forgive me for the ways I have settled for the world’s vision of love rather than the vision in Your Word. I ask that You would strengthen my heart by Your grace to love my spouse and/or those around me more like Jesus. Amen.”
The Parent Hub: Resources to help you talk about God’s view of sex and healthy relationships
Books and Additional Resources on Marriage from a Christ-Centered Perspective: